The events that occurred during 1916 can have many different meanings for people. By asking, ‘what does 1916 mean to you?’, History Hub explores the political, social, and cultural legacies of the year 1916 for people and communities across the island of Ireland, north and south.
‘1916 and Me / 2016 and Us’ consists of more than 40 interviews, recorded in Dublin and Belfast throughout 2016, with individuals (academics, community leaders, politicians, artists, writers and members of the public) giving their views on the significance of the events of 100 years ago and also on the meaning of commemoration.
’1916 and Me / 2016 and Us’ is a collaboration between University College Dublin School of History, Queen’s University Belfast School of History and Anthropology, UCD Digital Library and HistoryHub.ie, UCD’s public history website. The project was funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Reconciliation Fund and produced by Real Smart Media for History Hub.
All of the ‘1916 and Me / 2016 and Us’ videos are now available to watch. A new interview will be featured on the website every day until the end of 2016. The videos have been deposited with UCD Digital Library for long-term preservation.
Watch the full playlist of videos here.
List of interviewees:
- Philip Orr (writer and historian)
- Helen Litton (1916 relative and writer)
- Heather Humphreys (Minister for Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs)
- Colin McCusker (Councillor, Ulster Unionist Party)
- Sally Keogh
- Colm O’Gorman (Executive Director, Amnesty International in Ireland)
- Jacqueline Irwin (Chief Executive, Northern Ireland Community Relations Council)
- Donald Gordon
- Hugh O’Donnell
- David Norris (Independent Senator)
- Emilie Pine (UCD School of English, Drama and Film)
- Marie Bourke
- John Concannon (Director, Ireland 2016)
- Tom Burke (Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association)
- Barry Sheppard
- Brenda O’Malley Farrell
- David Ford (MLA Alliance Party and former Northern Ireland Minister of Justice)
- David Robinson (Good Relations Unit, Belfast City Council)
- Catriona Crowe (National Archives of Ireland)
- Ron Clarke
- Francesca Lundstrom
- Katherine McSharry (National Library of Ireland)
- Mark Daly (Fianna Fáil Senator)
- Emmanuel Sweeney
- Jeffrey Dudgeon (Councillor, Ulster Unionist Party)
- Ted Murphy
- Mariam Banouni
- Anne Maddock O’Reilly
- Art Cosgrove (historian and former President of University College Dublin)
- Mary Daly (UCD historian and President, Royal Irish Academy)
- Aodhan O’Riordain (Labour Senator)
- Brian John Spencer
- Ciaran Holahan (1916 Rising relative)
- Roger O’Keeffe
- Maurice Manning (Chair, Expert Advisory Group on Commemorations)
- Jorge Douglas Azevedo
- Ian Wilson (Northern Ireland War Memorial)
- Mark Duncan (Century Ireland)
- Philip Crawford (Creative Learning Coordinator, Lyric Theatre)
- Leo Leydon
- Anne O’Gorman Weber
- Tom Conaty
All images and videos produced by Real Smart Media.